Welcome to NaeNae Korean

We are your new study buddy. Your one-stop-shop for motivation.

Each week we post links, tools, ideas, videos, and resources that help you stay motivated and progressing smoothly toward your Korean goals. It's hard to do it alone, but it's fun when you have a buddy.


Wednesday, November 18, 2015

Grammar Snap: Verb + 은/는 Topic Marker



This is a very simple grammar point which becomes very stressful when it is poorly explained.  Here is the simple explanation I wish I had heard first.

V+은/는 marks the topic of conversation.  If you aren't changing the topic of conversation, don't use it.

If I say:

"이번 주에서는 나가..." then we are talking about what happened this week.

If I say:

"이번 주 나는..." then we are talking about me and what I did that took place this week.

It is important to note that 은/느 marks the TOPIC of conversation while 이/가 marks the SUBJECT of the sentence. This becomes confusing when the TOPIC of conversation and the SUBJECT of the sentence are these same thing.  To fully understand this concept you MUST read books as much as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment